Virtual training receives official sanction 14 May 2020
Great Britain’s traffic commissioners have determined that virtual courses can be used in place of classroom-based training to meet licence undertakings, provided that they meet certain criteria to enable them to match classroom-based training as much as possible.
A number of service providers have already met the criteria the commissioners have put in place for providing online training packages. Transport Engineer understands that as of 13 May 2020 that list includes:
- EP Training Services Ltd
- NovaData Training
- Sigma Studies Ltd
- Steve Rounds and Associates ltd
- 2 Start Ltd
Below are the major criteria:
- The participant and instructor are visible to each other at all times
- The participant takes part by means of a tablet, laptop or PC with camera and microphone
- The course replicates as closely as possible the same content as would be delivered in a classroom
- The course provider needs to be able to identify all participants
- The instructor needs to be able to interact with participants, display material and discuss it simultaneously
- Some element of assessment should be included during the training to check participants have actively engaged in the course.
The office of the traffic commissioner says: “Keeping up to date is always an important part of running safe and compliant transport operation, but the current situation prevents classroom-based learning. To help you stay up to date, the TCs have investigated alternative ways of delivering training and professional development remotely.
“The technology available for e-learning has advanced a lot in recent years. Trainers and attendees can now interact personally and share experiences through video conferencing software. This means the experience can now be close enough to classroom-based learning that the traffic commissioners have assessed it as being able to work as a temporary replacement during the lockdown.”
Freight Transport Association Ltd
Novadata TAB Ltd
Road Haulage Association Ltd
This material is protected by MA Business copyright
See Terms and Conditions.
One-off usage is permitted but bulk copying is not.
For multiple copies
contact the sales team.